SIU MEDICINE has the following job opening available:
MEDICAL ASSISTANT (Certified/Credentialed) Department/Division: Family & Community Medicine/Quincy
Function: This position provides clinical support to the patients of SIU Center for Family and Community Medicine Quincy.
The majority of time is spent in the capacity of Medical Assistant (Credential/Certified) where patient care is given within the clinic.
The position must work closely with the faculty, residents, staff and patients to ensure an efficient operation.
Duties and Responsibilities: The following information is intended to be a representative of the work performed by the incumbent in this position and is not all-inclusive.
The omission of a specific duty or responsibility will not preclude it from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical extension of position responsibilities.
Demonstrates by actions, commitment to the mission and the behavioral standards of SIU School of Medicine.
Provides excellent service to both internal and external customers through collaboration and partnership; compassion and respect; integrity and accountability; diversity and inclusion; as well as continuous learning and improvement.
A. Patient Care 80%
1. Perform venipuncture and capillary blood collections.
2. Swab for strep screens.
3. Instruct patients on proper urine and stool collection techniques.
4. Instruct patients on proper urine drug screen collection.
Properly document prescribed medication(s) when applicable, complete appropriate forms and completes documentation in LIS.
5. Specimen preparation for test purposes, including centrifuge, 24-hour urines, pouring specimens, etc.
6. Performs CLIA waived lab tests including Rapid Strep A Screen, Erythrocyte Sedimentation Rate, Infectious Mononucleosis, Urine Pregnancy Test, Urine Dipstick, Fecal Immunochemical Test (FIT), Rapid Urine Drug Screen.
This will include quality control and patient testing.
Properly document results and enter them into the LIS. 7. Prepare urine for microscopic analysis, inoculates urine culture agar, prepare peripheral blood smear slides as requested. 8. Analyze proficiency testing for tests performed in the laboratory. Follow proper reconstruction, testing and documentation of data. Successful completion (80% score) in each discipline is required for laboratory certification and accreditation by regulating agencies. 9. Documents environmental temperatures. Performs weekly eyewash flush. Patient Care As needed following required training 10. Prepares patient exam rooms and the patient by explaining the procedure and indications for the exam. Also offers the patient any brochures, diets or booklets pertaining to his/her particular health problem(s). 11. Takes vital ad a brief history of present illness of the patient, recording in chart. 12. Assist doctors at time of the exam and with follow-up procedures. 13. Assist with preparation of medications and treatment as directed by physician. 14. Assist doctors with telephone messages. 15. Follows up on doctor's orders by transcribing these in charts and notifying the pharmacy when appropriate. Scribes for providers during office visit according to SIU Scribing Guidelines.
16. Performs various screening test including; audiograms and visual testing using Titmus or Snellen vision checks. Also performs NST and external fetal monitoring. 17. Calls other facilities to set up appointments for x-rays or referral to another physician. 18. Completes appropriate insurance referral forms for patient to take to specialist. 19. Assist in the operation of respiratory equipment when necessary and explains operation to patient, i.e. nebulizer and pulmonary function test. 20. Records prescription refills and other pertinent medical information in patients' charts per phone conversations or through personal contacts. 21. Following medical provider's orders, enters into the Electronic Health Record (HER) requisitions of medicines, laboratory and radiology. 22. Takes walk-in blood pressures and records in charts. 23. Sterilizes instruments. 24. Performs EKG's, pulmonary functions test, Spirometry, pulse oximetry, nebulizer treatments, ear irrigations, obstetric non-stress test and external fetal monitoring. 25. Constant updating on computer information availability, including the electronic health record system, insurance information and patient education. 26. Complete periodic resident evaluations. 27. After a competency check off, administer injections to patients. B. Miscellaneous and Clerical Duties 20% 1. Maintains patient information in physicians' boxes. 2. Accesses proper charts for scheduled patients. 3. Completes laboratory requisitions. 4. Mails or faxes patient information as requested. 5. Addresses overdue lab orders in the HER per protocol. 6. Receives and stores new supplies as needed. Miscellaneous and Clerical Duties As needed following required training 7. Places patient information in physicians' boxes. 8. Completes and faxes insurance referral forms. 9. Mails or faxes patient information to outside physicians and hospitals. 10. Cleans and sterilizes equipment and supplies. C. Medical Assistants MUST NOT 1. Write, phone, or sign new prescriptions. 2. Mix or administer medication without approval by a nurse or physician. 3. Give preoperative orders to the hospital. 4. Give allergy shots. Skills and Abilities Needed for the Position A. Understanding of outpatient physician office procedures and patient flow. B. Preference given to experience gained in a primary care environment. C. Able to work professionally and adeptly under pressure. D. Sensitive to the needs of the underrepresented minority populations.
Location/Region: Quincy, IL (US - 62301)